Monday, May 16, 2005

Live For Today

I came across the Today Show's list of the Top 50 Things to Do Before You Die. Here it is:

  1. Watch whales migrate
  2. Go white water rafting
  3. See wild game on an African safari
  4. Find a long-lost friend
  5. Learn to dance
  6. Fly a plane
  7. Drive a NASCAR race car
  8. Appear on Broadway
  9. Dive the Great Barrier Reef
  10. Skydive
  11. Golf on a world famous course
  12. Travel the Nile in Egypt
  13. Be serenaded by a Venetian gondolier
  14. Swim with the dolphins
  15. Play with an orchestra
  16. Paint the Big Apple red
  17. Float in a hot air balloon
  18. Sip a mint julep at the Kentucky Derby
  19. Visit the Oval Office
  20. Trace your roots
  21. Helicopter over a Hawaiian volcano
  22. Ride a mule down the Grand Canyon
  23. Stroll along the Great Wall of China
  24. Cruise in a Ferrari
  25. See the Taj Mahal at sunrise
  26. Walk the Inca trail at Macchu Picchu
  27. Ride a Harley down an open road
  28. Feed sharks
  29. Scale a famous peak
  30. Explore a Rain Forest
  31. Learn to be a cowboy
  32. Play ball in a Major League park
  33. Prepare the world's finest meal
  34. Be an extra in a movie
  35. Gaze upon a magnificent waterfall
  36. Horseback ride along a beach
  37. Conquer a fear
  38. Ride a steamboat down the Mississippi
  39. Dive in a submarine
  40. Taste the finest wine
  41. Run a marathon
  42. Write a song or poem for someone you love
  43. Volunteer overseas
  44. Visit a nudist colony
  45. Explore the Alaskan wilderness
  46. Hover in a blimp
  47. Eat a cheeseburger in paradise
  48. Run with the bulls in Pamplona
  49. Say a special thank you
  50. Experience weightlessness

I was pleasantly pleased to find out that I had actually done some of these things already.

Things I've done so far:

2

4

16

19 (I think I already did this because I took the White House tour back when it was possible before all this 9/11 nonsense. I don't really remember much.)

22 (i had a bruise on my ass the size of Texas afterwards, but damn it shore was fun!)

27 (ok, it wasn't a Harley, it was a Japanese motorcycle where you have to lean forward over the bike, not sit straight up...I think that's better anyways, so I'm listing it.)

31 (ok...I haven't exactly learned to be a cowboy, but I ride horses so that's close enough)

37

49

Things that need to be taken off this list:

5.) I already know how to dance

10.) I refuse to skydive unless my plane is falling out of the sky.

11.) I could care less about golfing in general.

32.) I could take or leave playing ball in a major league park...UNLESS Derek Jeter is present...in which case this moves to #3 of my must do list.

40.) Taste the finest wine???? What is the finest wine? I've had some good ones before.

47.) what the hell is eat a cheeseburger in paradise???

Things I will likely accomplish within the next two years:

12.) I'm going to Egypt before I have kids no matter what I have to do. It's my dream of a lifetime!

21.) helicopter over a volcano in Hawaii (honeymoon is coming up!!! )

25.) Goin to India soon.

35.) Goin to Hawaii soon.

Things to add to list:

Ride an elephant.

Ride a camel by the Great Pyramids.

Swim with manatees.

Go horseback riding through the Redwood forest.

Backpack across Europe.

Visit Petra in Jordan.

Visit Pompeii in Italy.

Save a life.

Give birth to a child.

Visit my sponsor child in Kenya.

Find my ol' high school buddy Michelle.

Visit relatives I've never met before in the Philippines.

Go snowboarding and skiing in Aspen.

Go to Alaska and see real penguins.

Hold a koala bear in my arms.

Scale a Mayan or Aztec ruin.

Learn to play the violin.

Participate in a dig with Dr. Zahi Hawass.

Design and landscape my own garden in my future home's backyard.

Swim with stingrays.

An addition to list, which I've already done, suggested to me by a friend:

Drive California's Pacific Coast Highway from L.A. to San Fran.

This is an absolutely gorgeous drive with magnificient shore cliffs and, as you get further north, at night it looks like you can just reach up and pluck a star out of the sky.

4 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Blogger David said...

That's a neat list! Your Things to Add says a lot about who you are, M. that's great. I'm surprised Driving down the Pacific Coastal Highway (California's Route 1) wasn't on that list. Especially driving San Fran down towards L.A. It'll offer some of the most breathtaking views of the ocean you'll ever see while driving and sometimes with no guard rails separating your car and the ocean. I want to do it again--only next time the plan is for me and the wife to drive down the PCH in an exotic convertible ...

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Oh yah! You're right. I've already done the PCH thing. I think I'll add that! Great idea! ;)

I'm sure there's more to add, but I have to think about it some more.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

KC! Oh thanks for clearing that up! I had no idea what that meant. OH yah! You're in Denver. coool...I'll let you know when I get to that number on my list! ;) I'm actually horrible at skiing, but I'd like to give it a whirl there!

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Thanks! Yeah, I'm really into ancient ruins!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home