Monday, May 02, 2005

The Zoo

Originally I wasn't going to post this, because I'm annoyingly morbid enough as it is, but then I wanted to share a couple of pictures with you so here it is.

Saturday was a washout, but Sunday we went to the zoo. I love animals, plants, flowers, the environment...so I don't know why I torture myself by going to the zoo. Everytime I go I get depressed seeing those animals behind plexiglass playing on concrete floors with pieces of cardboard. The zookeepers think they've tricked them by painting colorful jungle scenes on the walls, but no one's fooled...least of all the animals. The saddest exhibit is always the gorillas. They sit around like a bored family in need of prozac. The large silverback always looks the worst no matter what zoo you go to....this time he was sitting in the corner platform as far away from the crowd as possible with a grim expression of hopelessness on his face. I guess one could say that they're better off here than slaughtered for their hide somewhere else, but I always find this argument weak. I think it's just another excuse so people can feel good about themselves...so they don't have to take responsibility for destroying everything on this planet and then regurgitating it back into a heaping pile of trash. The small critters seem to have things better. Their size gives them more adequate accomodations. The glorious peacocks had the run of the place. They weren't encaged, but roamed around freely. It's too bad half of them were being chased down by toddlers whose parents smiled and clapped at their little one's curiosity. Perhaps the most annoying thing about the zoo are the human visitors. A motley crew if ever I saw one. Ghetto families gawking at the animals, while throwing empty bottles and wrappers all over the ground. Attentive parents teaching their children about the animals...."Momma, what's that??" "That's a nasty pig!!! Nasty!!!"...teaching them which animals deserve a cage and which ones deserve to die.

Anywho...I only got two decent photos while I was at the zoo because my dumbass forgot to charge the batteries for our camera. You missed many wonderful things like gorgeous male peacocks struttin their stuff, vampire bats drinking from bowls of blood, the depressed silverback gorilla, snoozing flamingos, a cheetah grooming his mate, and an African elephant taking a dump.

Here's a photo of a female monkey. I can't remember what kind of monkey, but she had a beautiful face which isn't quite captured here because of the stupid delay of my digital camera. See, she's sitting with her feet pressed up against the glass!



And here's the cutest and tiniest monkey ever, the Pygmy Marmoset. If you'll look closely there's a baby marmoset sitting on the mom's back. Unfortunately, the baby was looking the other way.

1 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger David said...

The Life of Pi.

hehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home