Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Where is the justice in this world?

Ok, so a 27-year-old Australian woman, Schapelle Corby, was caught in Indonesia with nine pounds of marijuana in her bag. The woman denies that the marijuana is hers and says it must have been planted in her bag. Indonesian authorities sought either a life sentence or death by firing squad for the woman. Turns out she got off "lucky"with a 20 year sentence.

Ironically, the Bali bomber responsible for killing 202 people only received 30 months in jail.

Corby should have immediately bombed the airport after the marijuana was found. She would have eliminated the evidence and the witnesses and been sent to jail for less than 3 years.

It's so friggin disgusting I can barely write about it. It's times like this that I'm forced to reconsider my negative thoughts on U.S. imperialism.

2 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger John said...

i guess this is the stupid news of the day, isn't it?

i hope your bruises are healing!

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger David said...

I didn't want to sound like an idiot when I wrote a reply here. My first thought was "capital punishment and Indonesia". This was one of the stories that popped up in my search:

http://www.asianews.it/view.php?l=en&art=229

I wish I could find a more recent article but yeah, as of Jan 2004 three were on death row with 26 others sentenced from 3 years to life in prison.

About the drugs, it's really sad when governments of countries--the U.S. included--try to take a hard line on issues, such as drugs, without taking into consideration circumstances surrounding the violations.

I do feel bad for that woman. Amazing how most of Australia and the Australian government has unified to support her cause.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home