Monday, January 09, 2006

Project Walk the Cat

My cat is fat. It's taken awhile for me to admit this to myself, but I can no longer deny it. I guess part of it has to do with the fact that my mom has an obese cat and compared with that cat my cat looks like a marathon runner. I've been debating over what to do about this situation. He really isn't fed too much food. I would bet my money that it's mostly to do with his lack of exercise. He's an indoor cat and he's old, so he pretty much lies around 22.5 hours of the day. So after much contemplation I've decided to implement Project Walk the Cat (a.k.a. Project WC), not to be confused with Project Cat's Cradle or the British term for toilet room.

DAY 1:
Attempted to put kitty harness on cat. Cat swatted at harness and nibbled on it. (Mental Note: for extra exercise swing harness in front of cat twice a day for 15 minutes.) Found harness was too tight and adjusted it. (My cat is NOT fat, just pleasantly plump!) Put harness on cat and attached leash. Attempted to walk cat out of apartment. Cat would not get up from lying position and was dragged a whopping five inches. Picked up cat and physically carried cat with harness and leash to door of apartment and opened door. Cat would not go outside into hallway. Picked up cat again and took him downstairs and outside. Placed cat on ground, so we could "walk". Cat looked around wide-eyed, sniffed, and proceeded to whine and headed back for door of building. Gave up. Opened door and let cat walk in. Realized I had only put one front arm through harness instead of two. (Mental Note: Next time fit harness properly.) Proceeded to walk cat with leash upstairs. Cat climbed up stairs. Outing deemed successful! Cat walked up stairs by leash. (Mental Note: Walk cat up and down stairs everyday for 20 minutes.)

6 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger Lori said...

You kill me! That is hilarious. Let me know if you're able to make any breakthroughs with your cat and harness. I have two harness for our cats, and they want no parts of them.

I put Sebastian (he's not fat, I keep telling myself, just BIG-BONED) on his harness and took him outside on our porch. He immediately laid down on the concrete and began rolling around. I tried encouraging him to walk down the driveway, but he wouldn't budge.

My other guy, Bailey, is dead skinny, but eats like a horse. It has to be a metabolic thing, I think.

Maybe you should get another cat...they can chase each other around the house and play together.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Hahha..thanks! I'll update my saga on my blog, so keep an eye out. I'm afraid the only reason my cat walked at all with that thing on is because he was terrified of being outside and wanted to get back to our apartment as quick as possible. If he was at ease, then I'm sure he would have rolled around on the ground too! As I mentioned, when I first put it on him inside the apt. he just laid there and I tried to drag him to his feet, but that didn't work out too well! haha..Anyways, my cat, Kix, would probably have a heartattack if I brought in another cat. He's sooo spoiled and hasn't seen another animal in ages! I think he'd be really pissed! hahah..but good idea for a normal cat! ;)

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Lori: btw, do you watch Desperate Housewives? If you do, have you noticed that anonymous neighbor who is always walking her cat in harness on the sidewalk??? haha..I find it hilarious!

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

PUHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHA!!! They drag bricks around??? How can something sound so cruel, yet so hilarious at the same time?! =)

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger G. said...

jezebus! did i tell you that i used to walk our cats outside as well? back in our townhouse days, there's this little courtyard outside our townhouse and we would just let them hang out there. at first we put the harness on but eventually we just watched and let them run around. they never wandered too far. they knew better than to run away from their source of food i guess,

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

G - my cat is a fraidy cat, literally. He was dying to get back into the apartment building. Very strange, but at least he's relatively easy to control. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home