Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Red State, Blue State...Yawn!

Just to clear things up. I am not blaming Bush for New Orleans because he's a conservative and I'm a liberal. I'm so over this stupid red, blue debate I could puke. I'm blaming Bush because the government did not act quickly enough and, as usual, did not have a plan in place to combat such disasters. Americans should not have to sit on rooftops or wade through feces for three to seven days without food and water after a forecasted disaster. I heard a terrific quote today on NPR, unfortunately I can't find it and I can't remember which governor or senator said it...but she pointed out that something like this should have never happened post 9/11. And I completely agree. You'd think we'd have a system in place by now that would work effectively and efficiently in the face of all possible disasters, terrorist or natural in origin. But...umm..no! And, I'm not being ridiculous...I don't expect a plan to fix everything in 26 hours, but I DO expect some federal government presence in the region within 24-48 hours. The fact that that didn't happen is abominable. I guess the same people who run the DMV are also in charge of FEMA.

Several news organizations have quoted government officials as saying they didn't know about the chaos happening in New Orleans until several days after it happened. That's funny. I knew about it the day after and that's because I watch the news. Wow! The bullshit is sooo thick I can barely breathe.

Anyways, I digress, my point is...I didn't make this all up so I could lambast a conservative. It wouldn't matter if our president was Ted Kennedy....the federal government screwed up....BIG TIME...and lots of Americans died because of it. Bush just happens to be the head of the federal government...that's all.

2 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Blogger C R Mountjoy - GDF said...

Did you see the latest - Mayor Nagin would not allow the Red Cross into New Orleans to deliver food and water because it might encourage people to stay in the city. Wow!

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

c r mountjoy-gdf: Well, I guess we're truly screwed then, because the state government doesn't work either. =(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home