Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Speaking of Christianity...

I had jury duty today and I friggin got picked for the trial! But that's another story. Anyways, of course, we had to swear on the bible to be honest or whatever (I wasn't paying attention) and it got me thinking....what if I were Buddhist??? Or Shinto, or Muslim, or an Athiest? Or Jewish? (I'm not sure if it was the Old Testament or New, or both) I mean, wouldn't the symbolism of the oath be lost on me then? I suppose if they're relying on tradition it's ok, but if they actually think swearing on a bible will make people always tell the truth, then how do they account for nonChristians? It must be somewhat meaningless in that case, right? Just a thought.

2 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger Liberal Banana said...

You know, that's a very good point. I mean, how does raising one's right hand and "swearing" on ANYTHING stop you from lying? It doesn't. They might as well say "SAY YOU PROMISE!" and record it, and then you're bound to tell the truth. And if you don't, and they catch you, then you go to jail for lying under oath. That's what I think.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger John said...

well, if you lie and then later on maybe they question you again, they re-read the court dictation of your testimony and it doesn't match.. they'll catch you.

i guess it's been done since the days our legal system was created and no one bothered to change it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home