Tuesday, March 28, 2006

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

So, I've noticed a lot of the time I don't seem to get much respect from service workers in my daily life. I think most of it has to do with the fact that I don't often dress up and, therefore, I look like a kid. Even my eye doctor thought I was 21! I think everyone dismisses me because of this. A few of my Asian friends agree. While we're blessed with youthful looks, we're also cursed by the lack of respect those youthful looks bring. I can only imagine the stares I'll get when I'm pregnant. People will think I'm a pregnant college drop-out! However, I was talking to a good friend of mine earlier tonight and she said I'm not getting respect or attention because I'm tooooo nice and way too polite to people. She said I'm giving them the sign that I'm easy to walk all over. (I know what you're thinking...this blog reflects an outspoken, annoyingly loud, and sarcastic person - not a nice, quiet, polite dogooder. But, sometimes blogs are a reflection of the self that is shut away and screaming to get out...people who know me well know that I'm a more complex combination of the two.) This thought had crossed my mind before, but I hadn't given it much weight. Now I'm wondering if she's correct. Could it be that I treat people with too much respect that they can't possibly give me any back??? I think it sounds ludicrous, but maybe it's true. In many cases it's the yelling, irate bitchy customer that always seems to get exactly what he/she needs. People jump to attention and start running to assist. The service workers know they'd better not mess with this person or else! More and more I'm begining to think this is true. Obviously, not in every case, but more or less true. The fact that this IS true is infuriating! How is it people would be more inclined to deliver good service to someone who berates them over someone who is polite to them? How is it that a few stern words and an evil eye are better perceived than courteous discourse and a smile? Not only is this stupid, and I hate stupid things, but I'm annoyed that I have to become a total bitch in order to get the simplest tasks done. I don't like being mean to people unless I'm provoked. I can't fathom going up to the unsuspecting innocent and yelling, "Bitch! Where's my money?" Shouldn't everyone get that initial chance before being condemned? I sure think so. Apparently not everyone else does. So, I guess I'm going to have to grow some wrinkles and wield some nasty words if I want to get anything accomplished.

3 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger David said...

Yes, a strong argument can be made for adapting to the environment in order to survive or even "get ahead" in this world. But changing on the inside and/or on the outside does not benefit you if you're already comfortable with who you are. That's really something for you to ask yourself: who does Melissa want to be and why?

I'm still glad you posted this though. Since you've noticed how the world seems to be cutthroat and that it's every man, woman, or child for himself you will probably have the same character and yet react differently to situations as needed.

Think of a generic "good nation" trying to combat a "terrorist nation". Does the "good nation" succeed by becoming more terror-ful than the "terrorist nation" itself? Or are there other ways?

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger David said...

ryc: thanks, Melissa! so when is yours coming? =)

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger moojay said...

you have my complete empathy. i run into the same problem all too often. its infuriating and very very frustrating. mainly because i don't like the alternative -- i.e, to be assertive from the getgo. its just not me. i try and give people a fair shot of kindness but people tend to take me for a meek pushover. very unfortunate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home