Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Blog while you jog???

So, I was listening to NPR earlier today and I heard that Minnesota State University has developed Tech Rec on their campus. Basically, they have installed computers in their exercise facilities, so people can log in or type up papers while they use the treadmill (not sure exactly how that's accomplished), elliptical, and bikes. The rep from MSU thought it would be a great way for students to study AND exercise at the same time. I thought this was one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Do you know how many people fall off treadmills??? Why, just the other day I was at the gym and some girl flew off her treadmill and hit the floor and she didn't have so much as a magazine distracting her, muchless a computer screen. Besides the dangers of physical injury, the gym is not the place for surfing the web. The gym is supposed to be where you're getting in shape. If you want a good work out you need to be concentrating on what you're doing. Sounds to me like there'll be a lot of increasingly obese and delusional MSU students blogging from their stationary bikes, while pedaling at .05 mph. Anyways, aren't we all just a little too connected to everyone and everything nowadays? I prefer my 60 minutes of peaceful exercise each day with no cell phone ringing and no inbox dinging.

3 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Amen! Whenever I see people (women, mostly) reading while on the elliptical, stationary bike, or treadmill, I always think to myself, "If you can hold that magazine still, you're not TRYING hard enough."

Last week, there was a college-aged girl on the treadmill next to mine who was talking on her cell phone. I had to try really hard to conceal my laughter. It just reminded me of a scene from the first season of Making the Band, where Diddy was Stairmastering and closing a deal on his celly at the same time.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

hahaha..that's CRAZY!!! How can you be talking on your cell phone and jogging?? People are so insane. She probably thought it made her look cool, like she was soo important she had to be reached at all times. haha

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger DCK said...

You know I can't even read a magazine that's leaning on the machine without me holding it let alone work out while holding it-- makes me dizzy... I don't know how these folks do it. Apparently they're not working hard enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home