Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Fat Senator Legislates Fat Kids to Lose Weight

Senator Leticia Van de Putte of Texas is supporting a measure to include body mass index on students' report cards in her Texas district.

This may or may not be a good idea. It seems a little odd to be "graded" on your weight. I always thought being graded in physical education was the stupidest thing ever conceived. I was never particularly good at athletics in school. In sixth grade I was terrified to go to P.E.,where I was often berated by my amazononian female coach, who was only discernibly female by her behemoth breasts that jutted out like atomic missiles. I bore the brunt of her snide remarks and the giggles of my classmates, because I couldn't hit the ball...in softball, in volleyball, etc. It was always a humiliating and dreadful experience. While I never received a poor grade in P.E., I always thought it was dumb that I, a straight-A student, could have destoryed my GPA because I was unable to hit a damn ball!

If schools want to help out obese kids (and I think they should), maybe they should instead employ Arkansas' method of sending health reports separate from the report cards.

At any rate, I find it ludicrous that someone, who is herself fat, finds the gumption to force others to lose their weight through what may be a humiliating method. I know Senator Van de Putte has the best interests of her youngest constituents in mind, but maybe someone should send the Senator a report card listing her BMI. Shouldn't everyone be their healthiest?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home